Wednesday 23 December 2015

Banishing 'winter face'!

I am all for seasons and I love a wintry walk. But after you've had a vicious cold, been out badger surveying in the rain/galeforce wind and facing another super-busy week at work, who doesn't look in the mirror on Monday morning and go 'holy sh*t what happened to my face?!' and want to just go back to bed.

So I decided to give you a low-down on the products that currently conceals my 'winter face' horror and makes me feel more alive.

As I have dry skin, I use a hydrating serum and a rich moisturiser in the winter. Currently I am loving the Botanics Radiant Youth Super Serum, and I am currently using the matching day cream with an SPF. I then use my beloved BareMinerals Complexion Rescue. I have actually started putting this on with my fingers - it actually goes on smoother without a brush. Conceal cleverly and sparingly, you don't want to look like you've covered up too much. This would defeat the glowy finish you're hoping for to conquer winter pallor.

If you really. really feel the need, use a bronzer. Personally I find they can be very tricky to get right on pale, reddish winter faces and look fake so I tend to not use them. Getting the right shade of blush for your colouring will make your face glow just the same!

When you're dry or dehydrated, it looks better to use a cream formula. I love cream blushers, summer or winter, that's no secret. Any cream blush that suits your colouring will do, you just need to try a few different ones. I love Barry M's Make Me Blush Cream Blusher because the colour 'Rhubarb Crumble' suits my skin perfectly!

And of course, to beat a lacklustre face, you need a highlight! Again I love a cream highlighter, my favourite to slap on at the moment is Collection Speedy Highlighter! Rub it in over your blush and you're ready to move to the eye area!

 I conceal under the eye using Collection's Lasting Finish Concealer. But if you're not cursed with the dark circles I am, just use an under-eye highlighter only such as Yves Saint Laurent's Touche Eclat.

Curling lashes is a must. I then use a long wear cream eye shadow; my fave is Maybelline 24hr Color Tattoo. My go-to colour for an all over shimmer is 'Pink Gold' but if you prefer a matte, use 'Creme de rose'. I then use a bronze (or if going matte, a mink coloured) pencil to add some definition along the lash line. Load up on the mascara, and use black to really make your eyes pop. In the winter, a good eye drops product will make your office atmosphere more bearable as well!

A chapped lip is never a good look. Don't overdose on lip scrub however, you shouldn't need to scrub lips all the time! Drink plenty water and you will notice a difference, I promise. I'm not a fan of petrolatum lip balms, they tend to make my lips worse. A more natural lip product may be a bit more rich and sticky so better suited to wear at night and on the plus side you wake up to hydrated lips ready to be made up!

So to finish off, if you want that really healthy look, go for a stain or tint on the lips then load up on lip balm over the top! Benetint from Benefit is of course the old classic but there are lip stain pens from many high street brands that kick ass if you want an easier to use and more purse friendly alternative. I also love a tinted lip balm and some of the most potent I've found are the Cor Balmy! range from Barry M - very tinted and purse friendly!

This look will take you from the office to the Xmas drinks without too much, touching up! So bonus, more time for mulled wine :)

No comments: